Friday, June 13, 2014

Kicking it off

I've chosen not to watch the football World Cup this year - not because I don't love the game, but because I couldn't stomach watching them knowing something of the cost - the construction worker deaths, the evictions of people from favela, and the prioritising of new stadia and visitor infrastructure above the needs of Brazil's poor. 

I'm not anti-football, not anti-the World Cup as a competition, not even anti-FIFA - I just wish it would clean up its act. Call me naive - but money doesn't need to rule the global game.

But I am for the favela dwellers, for fairness in football, sport and all of life. 



So, for the duration of the World Cup competition, I'll bring you daily 'off the ball' play highlighting social issues around the World Cup, alternative views and signs of hope - those working for good in all of this. It will be an eclectic mix. Like the football competion, they'll be high points and low points, inconsistent and rogue refereeing, poetry, music and prayer (yes, prayer - this is a very religious sport). There may even be a spot of real footy too.

Maristely above relates how her favela community in Sao Paolo asked the question 'The Cup for whom?' and organised petitions, protocols and took action. You can do the same - whether you watch the footy or not, make sure you sign Caritas Australia's petition calling for 'fair play' from FIFA and the International Olympic Committee.

No comments:

Post a Comment